Netanyahu, Rubio discuss 17 per cent tariffs on Israel

Secretary of State Marco Rubio and Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu
Marco Rubio and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu have discussed the situation in Gaza. -EPA

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and US Secretary of State Marco Rubio have held talks about 17 per cent tariffs that President Donald Trump imposed on Israel as part of his sweeping new policy.

Unspecified Israeli goods exported to the United States, Israel's largest single trading partner, will face a tariff.

"Secretary of State Marco Rubio spoke with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu to underscore the United States' support for Israel," State Department spokeswoman Tammy Bruce said in a statement.

The pair spoke by phone to discuss "the situation in Gaza, the administration's determination to release the hostages in Gaza, as well as the recently announced tariffs," according to Bruce.

The global stock market has lost trillions in value this week since Trump announced sweeping new 10 per cent import taxes, with products from dozens of countries, including key trading partners such as China, the European Union and Canada, facing far higher rates.

Israeli Finance Minister Bezalel Smotrich called for "continuing dialogue" with the US to try to "reduce the damage" of the new tariffs.

In Gaza, Israel has stepped up its offensive against the Palestinian enclave, where more than 1000 people have died since breaking the ceasefire last month.

Trump spoke by phone with Netanyahu on Thursday and said the Israeli prime minister could travel to the US next week to meet with him.

with Reuters